Sunday, March 27, 2005

The black belt

A student goes through a rigorous martial arts training regimen for years, and the day dawns when he is about to receive his black belt. He goes to his sensei, kneels in front of him, and waits.

Sensei asks him, before handing over the black belt - "What do you think is the meaning of the black belt ? ".
Student replies "It is a reward, a recognition for all the hard work I put in"
Sensei waits for some time, and tells him "Come back in a year - you are not yet ready for the black belt"

Next year, the scene repeats :

Sensei : "Do you know the meaning of the black belt now ? "
Student : "Yes, master. It is the pinnacle of achievement in our art"
Sensei : "You are not ready yet. Come back next year"

The third year :

Sensei : "Do you know the meaning of the black belt now ? "
Student : "Yes master. It is but the beginning of a journey of constant improvement, of pushing my limits, of becoming better and better at my art. "
Sensei : "You earned your black belt now !"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good One Shameek. Reminds me of something I read about the meaning of earning a degree - "Graduation is a license to begin the Study of Life."
Funny thing is very many people think they have become "experts" who have "no need for books" once they graduate!

pradyot said...

Hey, that is a nice one. I have a story (or are they stories? :D) about black belts on my blog too. Can I plagiarise this one and use it as an entry? :P

Shameek said...

Sure pradyot. go ahead :)

Anonymous said...

I like this font

Anonymous said...

Hey Shameek,

This comment got nothing to do with ur post here. :-) Just wanted to send my best wishes to both of u, u & Amit!!! Guys, all the best!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd love to congratulate you for such a great quality forum!
thought this is a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Laurence Todd
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/barbie-party-supplies.html]barbie Party Supplies[/url].